Singapore community pet portal dedicated to pets lovers of dogs, cats, hamsters, fishes, terrapins, rabbits, guinea pigs and more!
Dogs Channel Cats Channel Hamsters Channel Guinea Pigs Channel Terrapins Channel Fishes Channel Rabbits Channel
Sign In    My Pets    My Photos    My Mailbox     My Forums    My Adoptions    Join as Member   
Home » Forum

OWNER
 gackter

Jojo

Member's Profile

gackter's Profile

Junior
Pet Photos (3) Posts (34) Visits (78) Reviews (2)
Joined Jan 13, 2012 03:14 PM
Last Post Jul 19, 2012 11:38 PM
Last Visit Jul 24, 2012 01:38 PM
Location Singapore, Bedok Singapore
Gender Female

gackter's Pets
View Jojo's Profile
Jojo

gackter's Post Statistics
gackter has contributed to 34 posts out of 270,036 total posts (0.01%) in 1,044 days (0.03 posts per day)

Recently submitted Shoppe Place reviews:

Jun 27, 2012 » The Pawfect Companion » I sent my cat in for grooming after a vet visit because it was ...
   Jan 19, 2012 » The Animal Clinic » Being a first time cat owner, I had many questions for the vet but ...

Recently created topics:

Jan 20, 2012 » Content Quarantine » Secure Access (Private)

Recently submitted posts:

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jul 19, 2012 11:38 PM (Total replies: 48)
Not sure. After explanations from two vets and some googling, all I know is that Lysine is an amino acid that is essential for the body, it will boost immunity and appetite / metabolism and helps improve absorption of nutrients. So... it's "metabolism", not "digestion".

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jul 19, 2012 03:53 PM (Total replies: 48)
That's great! Maybe an autofeeder can help regulate when and how much dry food they get when no one's around?

My cat used to throw up his meals from time to time. I thought it was because he was too hungry and ate too quickly. Now in hindsight, my cat's throwing up must have been because he was gobbling dry food in between or just before his next meal. Then when he gets his wet meal, the dry ones in the tummy suddenly expand from the incoming moisture, making him too full and he throws up.

Well.. that's my theory anyway. He doesn't throw up anymore so I must be doing it right this time. Could also be the Lysine that's aiding his digestion. Anyway he now licks clean anything I give him, including Wellness which he previously disliked. I only give him 0.5ml of Lysine mixed into his breakfast instead of the recommended dosage of 2.5ml twice a day which I am uncomfortable with. Seems to work anyway.

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jul 7, 2012 04:00 AM (Total replies: 48)
OK I must admit I take the more hard-handed approach...
If my cat tries to snub his food, I don't give in and I won't leave any dry food around. He will complain, he will paw the floor and walk away. After 10 minutes, he will return to check it out and lick a bit more. By the third time, he knows there's nothing else coming, he's hungry and he probably realizes that hey! this is not so bad afterall! He will eat the food. Cats are too smart to starve themselves.

Do you leave dry food out for them throughout the day? I used to do that but recently I've stopped because I realized it was like allowing a child to snack in between meals so no wonder he fusses over his regular meals. Now without the snacking, my boy really polishes his bowl at meal times. I'm inspired to try Wellness again. Muahaha.

How about feeding your foster cat first?

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jul 5, 2012 01:40 AM (Total replies: 48)
Visited vet today. She suspects food allergy as well but get this... she says that the irony is, the most likely source that causes food allergies in cats is fish! He was given a shot of antibiotics + Depredil to stop his itching. Just to be safe, I'm going to shelf all his tuna and fish based wet food for the time being.

What are the supplements you're giving your kitties?

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jul 4, 2012 04:22 AM (Total replies: 48)
Sounds like a good start anywho.

My Jojo has recently developed a skin problem. I suspect food allergy since I've already applied Revolution on him, Tests for fur mite turned up negative as well although I don;t see how a few random plucks of fur will guarantee findings of an actual mite. ... Crap. Now I have to slowly test every food product to see which one (if any) is causing him to itch and scratch himself raw. Problem with commercial pet food is you can never be sure what they are putting into those tins and even good brands can go downhill.

Wondering if I should change vet too.
It's just that much harder when the critter can't talk and tell you what's ailing him.

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jun 30, 2012 02:21 AM (Total replies: 48)
Hey euphoriaz, mind sharing your recipes? I have currently only tried steamed chicken but have not experimented with fish.

Supplies, Accessories & Housing Environment » Looking for scratch post and anti scratch spray for my kitten and adult cat Jun 27, 2012 03:36 PM (Total replies: 10)
Sorry.. Just saw that your location is Boon lay... Maybe a bit far for a bottle of tester

Supplies, Accessories & Housing Environment » Looking for scratch post and anti scratch spray for my kitten and adult cat Jun 27, 2012 03:34 PM (Total replies: 10)
I just bought a bottle of 400ml SmartyKat ScratchNot training spray from pet lovers centre ($18.50).
vhttp://www.petloverscentre.com/products.phpDepartmentID=2&DeptCategoryID=36&ID=2975&action=detail&xtimestamp=27062012140416
I can pour out a bit for you to test since I think 400ml will last me a long time. Problem with pet shops are, they don't provide testers. It has lemon and eucalyptus scent so if it's going to repell you as well, that's not too good! Do you stay around the east?

I don't have scratch posts. I bought scratch pads and put them around the house.

This one $20.50 you can hang up so that the cat has a vertical surface to scratch as well.
http://www.petloverscentre.com/products.php?DepartmentID=2&DeptCategoryID=31&ID=9721&action=detail&xtimestamp=27062012141554

And I also bought this $12.50 corrugated board (just the refill) and my cat really takes it out on this. But I need to clean up the torn bits on the floor with my $2 Daiso lint roller. Hee hee! Easy peasy. http://www.petloverscentre.com/products.php?DepartmentID=2&DeptCategoryID=31&ID=6441&action=detail&xtimestamp=27062012141950

Just saw this $6.90 scratch pad but I've never tried before.
http://www.petloverscentre.com/products.php?DepartmentID=2&DeptCategoryID=31&ID=10030&action=detail&xtimestamp=27062012141949

Or get a wooden board and a floor mat from Daiso = your own DIY $4 scratch board!

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jun 27, 2012 02:59 PM (Total replies: 48)
Hey Euphoriaz,

There are some positive user reviews for Sanabelle Urinary, mostly saying that the urinary symptoms cleared up after they have switched to this brand.

http://catsthatblog.com/cat-food-for-cats-with-feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease-or-flutd/
http://www.zooplus.com/feedback/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/sanabelle/sanabelle_special_nutrition/126976

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jun 27, 2012 02:06 PM (Total replies: 48)
You can buy pronature online through Pet Lovers Centre.
I hear that Sanabelle is good too. I've tried a small pack but I was mixing this with pronature so I can't tell whether Jojo liked it or not.

I am also new to cat ownership but having a lot of time at home with him really helped speed up the getting-to-know-the-cat part. When I first got Jojo, he was already overweight and I was advised to moderate his food intake. BUT I was clueless about how often a cat needs to be fed and at what quantity, so I fed him whenever he starts meowing persistently for something, which was once every 3-4 hours!

On his second vet visit, needless to say, his weight had gone up. So I started feeding him only breakfast, lunch and dinner (about 5 hours apart). On his recent vet visit, his weight has gone up to 7kg! Which is 2kg overweight even for a big build male.
So now I going to feed him breakfast and dinner, and slowly weaning him off lunch. I am now also making it a point to play with him more so that he gets some exercise and I can take a break from staring at the computer. So yep, I am still learning as I go.

Meowmeow is 5.5kg? Is her build much larger than the average street cat? Actually 4kg sounds about right. Don't let her get overweight in case of health issues in future. I guess your vet should be able to advise you on the right weight for her. Meanwhile, I'm going to get a weighing scale for my fatjo.

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jun 27, 2012 12:25 AM (Total replies: 48)
Nah... I don't really know more. It's just that I have been trying all the brands on my cat to see what he likes and I work from home so I have more time to observe him and surf for information. The rest is really trial and error. I am still learning from my cat.

I'm also feeding my cat the two flavours of pronature dry food you mentioned. That brand was recommended by the senior volunteer at SPCA. The cat seems to accept it so I haven't found the need to change.

I haven't seen the Burb chicken snack. I prefer not to buy Burp products because of its skimpy information on the ingredients. Also, I saw my cat drinking water out of his bowl after eating Burp tuna. He usually doesn't touch his water unless he's been eating nothing but dry food. So after seeing this, I don''t buy Burp anymore.

Have you tried giving your cat steamed chicken breast/fillet meat? Steam it without any condiments and tear a few shred for your cat. If she doesn't eat it, you can still use the rest for your own consumption, so nothing wasted.

Anyway, I've read meow meow's profile and I think you've done a wonderful deed by adopting her from a friend who was migrating. Pat on the back!

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jun 26, 2012 03:45 PM (Total replies: 48)
Hi catinshock,

I am feeding my cat Addiction. Seems okay so far. Just a bit uneasy that their tin exterioir always look on the verge of rusting.

As for avoderm, there's been some debate regarding its avocado base.

http://www.catchannel.com/news/november-06/2006-11-09-avocado-dangerous-to-cats.aspx
http://www.avodermnatural.com/About/why_avocados.htm

In short, there are sources which say avocado is toxic to cats, but Avoderm maintains that the avocado oil in their products are not derived from the toxic parts of the avocado and are not of the Guatemalan species and therefore safe and nutritious for the cats.

I've tried avoderm before. My cat's not very keen on it so he made the choice for me.

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jun 26, 2012 03:05 PM (Total replies: 48)
Quote: yes gackter! her poop is currently dry and dark-colored, and in small pieces too. though it may get big sometimes. but its mainly dry. it is working well at least for now, the litter seems to cover it nicely. i was juz afraid if her poop were to be wet, and she doesnt really clean it easily like with dry poop, and that it may get her messy and dirty all over. haha.

mayb i will try getting a variety of wet food and try it out. moist poop is still okay, as long as she gets use to it, and knows how to clean up. and she doesnt really drink alot of water with the pro nature diet now, so i guess it might not be too good for her.

u mentioned fussie cat? okay, perhaps i'd try that out for her and see if i'm able to change her diet.

thanks for all ur help! =)
--- Original message by drkmatter on Jun 25, 2012 05:53 PM
Hey drkmatter,

Please try. Surely her well-being is more important than housekeeping. Cats are fastidious with their own cleanliness. I am sure she will lick herself clean. As for the mess in her litter, YOU have to keep that one clean, not her. LOL.

I'm quite kiasu in the cat toilet department actually. I line the pan with plastic sheet, plus a layer of pee pad (from Daiso) before putting in the litter pellets. Watertight! Hahaha. I use the Trustie color-changing type so that when there's moisture I can easily spot the soiled bits to remove. Bigger pellets are less messy and won't get stuck between kitty toes so he won't be walking around the house with soiled litter in his paws (well, so far so good).

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jun 26, 2012 02:16 PM (Total replies: 48)
Hi catinshock,

Good that he likes Fussie Cat and Burp. You can use that to slowly introduce him to another brand.

For me, I know the mornings are my best bet for trying new brands on him because he's hungry enough for anything. First I will put out a dollop of the new food and see if he'll try. If he doesn't, I will stir in some fussie cat and usually he will go for it. Then on subsequent feeds, I will reduce the portion of fussie cat until he can eat just the new brand on its own.

There are certain brands that just didn't work (Wellness and certain flavours of Fancy Feast) and then I will know that I should stop buying those.
I keep the tin labels and make notes on the back so that I remember what not to get.

I also use fussie cat to mask medication. Saved me some on vet bills since pills are cheaper than injections.
(Guys, another plus point for introducing your cat to a wet food diet! )

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jun 26, 2012 01:41 PM (Total replies: 48)
Ethical pet food? Call me a cynic but I think the industry for human food is already too far gone to turn back, let alone food for pets.

Can't expect the same kind of integrity humans had back in the days when people kept their own livestock and farmed their own vegetables and hunted only what they needed. These days, everything is about mass production in the shortest time at minimum cost with maximum returns. After all, there are too many supermarkets in the world to be stocked up because there are too many zillions of mouths to feed and farming free range livestocks in our own backyards just can't supply to such demands anymore.

What exactly is organic food? Which part in the entire process is organic? Who sets these standards and who keeps them in check? How many of us actually knows what constitutes as organic before spending $7 on organic tomatoes instead of 70cents on non-organic ones and then head out for a buffet lunch or hawker cha kuay teow? Haiz... as usually, the more I read the less I know. The more I ask, the lesser I want to know.

I guess in short, I do not have any way to determine if it is "ethical" pet food because I believe nothing in the mass production industry is ethical anymore.

Regarding "meal" in pet food labels, read this.
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/chicken-or-chicken-meal.html

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jun 23, 2012 07:03 PM (Total replies: 48)
When he first moved in, he was on dry-food-only diet so his poop was small, hard, very dry and dark-colored pieces.
Then there was once he had diarrhoea for 2 days. Don't know why. It went away on its own. The poop was a watery paste (means no distinct shape)
Now he is eating mainly wet food. His normal poop pieces are moist and brown but still has a nice shape to it. (LOL)

If poop is watery, sounds like diarrhoea. I suppose like with humans, even if you drink a lot of water, you just pee more. Shouldn't mean you get watery poop.

LOL. Apologies for the poop talk just before dinner time.

Health Conditions & Nutrition » Burp! Reviews - Tuna harmful, what about Salmon? Jun 22, 2012 09:34 PM (Total replies: 48)
When I adopted my furkid, I was told that he only eats dry food but surprise surprise, he hooked onto fussie cat and never looked back since. I have been trying various brands of wet food (addiction, ziwipeak, natural balance, nature's variety instinct, nature's variety homestyle, NuTripe, wellness, holistic select) on him and now he's no longer as finicky as before. I've also tried steamed chicken breast. He wouldn't touch it at first but after repeated tries, he started to like it.

Dry food is not good enough as the main diet. It's just not natural for them. It's worse if your cat doesn't like to drink water. They will get constipated. Maybe can try sneaking bits of wet food into the dry food. Or soak the dry food in water. I am also trying to introduce other brands of dry food to him but he's less willing to try those. Now I am stuck with a large pack of Oven baked tradition!

Whiskas and Friskies whether dry or wet, are not good. Sadly, they are easily available in supermarkets.
Raw meat or fish is not safe. They need to be cooked in case of bacteria or parasites. I prefer to steam them to retain the "juices".

Grooming, Handling, Behaviour & Play » Bringing kitty out May 27, 2012 05:50 PM (Total replies: 71)
Harnesses are available at Pet Lovers and also at Daiso. Those at Daiso are for small and medium dogs but should be ok for cats. I bought one for small dogs but it was too small for the girth of my chubby boy!

Grooming, Handling, Behaviour & Play » Bringing kitty out May 24, 2012 03:08 PM (Total replies: 71)
I am thinking of taking my chubby boy out for walks. Any advice would be good.
I imagine it will take a LOT of patience. My ultimate goal is that he can get used to going out and will even get in the car without a carrier.
Edited by gackter on May 24, 2012 at 03:16 PM

Grooming, Handling, Behaviour & Play » Cat/Kitten Meowing at odd timings and other weird behaviors. May 18, 2012 02:55 AM (Total replies: 5)
My cat has a different sleeping-spot-of-the-week so I've stopped entertaining the idea of upgrading his bed to a bigger one.

When I first brought him home, he meowed outside the bedroom door at night. We ignored it and after a few nights, he realized that it was a waste of energy and no longer persists. The articles on the internet mostly advises playing with the cat just before your bedtime to tire him out. Worth trying.

The down side with spray bottle training, I imagine, would be that you always need to be there with bottle at hand. And if he's being naughty the whole day, I can imagine he'd be feeling wet constantly! For my cat, I used a regular command like "Naughty!" and at the same time, remove or redirect him from whatever he's not supposed to do. He learns to associate the two. Now I just need to use vocal commands. Cats are very fast learners but whether he's in a mood to be good or not, that's a different story!

Viewed 877 times.

392 ms
Return to Top

SHOPPE PLACE

Looking for pet shops / clinics?

About Us    |    Advertise    |    Contact Us   

Copyright © 2004-2014 Pets Channel All rights reserved   
Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use.