Singapore community pet portal dedicated to pets lovers of dogs, cats, hamsters, fishes, terrapins, rabbits, guinea pigs and more!
Dogs Channel Cats Channel Hamsters Channel Guinea Pigs Channel Terrapins Channel Fishes Channel Rabbits Channel
Sign In    My Pets    My Photos    My Mailbox     My Forums    My Adoptions    Join as Member   
Home » Forum

FORUM
 Home
 Search
 Recent Posts
 Latest 50 posts
 Latest 50 topics
 Most Popular Topics
 Most Active Members
 Rules & Regulations
 Banned Members
 HOW TO
  Upload Pet Photos
  Insert Pet Photos into forum posts
  Insert YouTube video into forum posts
  Resize Photos
  Get Photo hosting
  Insert Photos from other websites
  Contact Webmaster

Forum

Singapore Pets Channel Growing Wheatgrass for piggies, Guinea Pigs' Health & Diet, Guinea Pigs
Forum Home » Guinea Pigs » Guinea Pigs' Health & Diet » Growing Wheatgrass for piggies
  Pages 1 2 >

Growing Wheatgrass for piggies
(11 replies)
orange10
Jun 29, 2011 09:19 PM  
Post #1 of 12
LOL

Singapore HarbourFront

Since Jun 29, 2011
2 posts
Hi i'm new here...i'm just wondering if anyone have tried growing weedgrass for ur guinea pig...and where do u get the seeds from?

rinayoshino
Jun 29, 2011 10:15 PM  
Post #2 of 12

Singapore Pasir Ris

Since Oct 16, 2010
3 posts
If you meant wheatgrass, you can get Organic wheat grains from NTUC's organic section (barley grains are fine too).

Soak the seeds in water for appx 24 hours
Plant them sparsely in your tray(preferably with draining holes at the bottom) with some fertiliser or sponge, anything that can withhold water.
Water everyday and watch it grow.

I've tried growing them but it's too humid in Singapore to prevent molds in the wheatgrass. You can try pointing a fan at the tray of wheatgrass if you'd like.

gforce
Jun 30, 2011 10:37 AM  
Post #3 of 12

Senior Moderator

Singapore Yew Tee

Since Jan 12, 2010
1,143 posts
hi welcome orange & rinayoshino!

how do we actually plant and grow wheatgrass on your own? where do we find the seeds? how long does it take to grow? if its feasible, it'll definitely save alot of costs which i'm more than willing to do it for my piggies. any tips? thanks in advance!

Edited by gforce on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM

rinayoshino
Jun 30, 2011 02:13 PM  
Post #4 of 12

Singapore Pasir Ris

Since Oct 16, 2010
3 posts
I used one of those aluminium foil trays (NTUC), fertiliser (Self-Fix DIY Store), organic wheat grains (NTUC) and that's all you need. Just water them once a day and you'll have wheatgrass in a week. They grow crazily fast.

P.s. Make sure to poke some holes if you're using the aluminium foil to allow water to drain out.

Wheatgrass grows molds easily so.. Keep them infront of a fan or something.

gforce
Jun 30, 2011 02:32 PM  
Post #5 of 12

Senior Moderator

Singapore Yew Tee

Since Jan 12, 2010
1,143 posts
thanks a million rinayoshino! i saw an earlier post mentioning i have to soak the seeds first?? i'm going to try be a farmer this weekend! think the pigs won't die from my self harvested wheatgrass i guess??

Edited by gforce on Jun 30, 2011 at 02:35 PM

spleen
Jun 30, 2011 03:42 PM  
Post #6 of 12

Advanced

Singapore Serangoon

Since Sep 30, 2010
212 posts
i bought a packet of bluegrass seed from cold storage, but haven't tried growing yet.

i saw a thread on guinealynx forum that suggested growing the grass in wet cotton wool, also in aluminium trays.. maybe you can try that too.

gforce
Jun 30, 2011 04:58 PM  
Post #7 of 12

Senior Moderator

Singapore Yew Tee

Since Jan 12, 2010
1,143 posts
wah just now i thought i'm going to be a farmer. now i feel like i'm going back to primary school days by planting seeds in cotton wool... thks spleen!

nicky123
Jul 1, 2011 01:02 AM  
Post #8 of 12

Singapore Boon Lay

Since Jun 16, 2011
6 posts
i just bought the seeds, giving a try now, noone answer my post about wheatgrass.

My pigs are fussy eater,

Hope u guys know, that wheatgrass doesnt contain lots of vitamin C but lots of Vit E.

And remember to select vege with low calcium too. anyone here use purifier? any brand or model?

shitou
Jul 1, 2011 01:17 AM  
Post #9 of 12

Advanced

Singapore Pasir Ris

Since Sep 2, 2007
304 posts
I'm interested to grow wheatgrass for my pigs too! They eat wheatgrass like no tomorrow. I have 4 and I give them 1 pack (from NTUC) per day. $$$ =(

What purifier are you referring to?

shafie
Jul 1, 2011 01:39 PM  
Post #10 of 12

Senior

Singapore Admiralty

Since Mar 10, 2009
425 posts
Wah farming Wheat Grass!! COOL!! . I have some question (as usual) haha. Say i plant the seeds it starts to grow and then i harvest, i assume it will regrow-so how long will this cycle be able to take place ? My mum plants pandan leaves and as & when i need them i grab a pair of scissors and snip some off, specifically the bottom and to date the plant is growing upwards so just wondering if this concept applies for Wheat Grass hehe

SO exciting, i shall buy a strawhat and a mini rake perhaps get my Piggies to work for their food hehehe

Pages 1 2 >

Can't find what you're looking for? Try a forum search.

349 ms
Return to Top

SHOPPE PLACE

Looking for pet shops / clinics?

About Us    |    Advertise    |    Contact Us   

Copyright © 2004-2014 Pets Channel All rights reserved   
Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use.